Pop up navigation menu
Home
 

HIGHER EDUCATION

ANNA HEAD ALUMNAE HALL

INFO

PROJECT INFORMATION

CLIENT: University of California, Berkeley
LOCATION: Santa Clara, California

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

The Anna Head Complex is a nationally registered historic place. Originally the Anna Head School for Girls, the complex was sold to the University of California, Berkeley in the 1950’s and was converted in to various office and service functions, subdividing many of the original uses.

CAW completed a feasibility study for the entire complex and was later commissioned with the renovation of Building A, the original assembly hall for the Anna Head School. Subdivided and festooned with exposed conduits, garish fluorescent lights and poorly placed utilities, the building was in need of a lot of care. CAW carefully restored the building to it’s historic character along with significant seismic, egress and accessible upgrades. Upgrades included new steel frames for seismic safety, sprinkler and lighting upgrades, new multi-use bathrooms on the first floor, new accessible paths at the exterior, and a new special access lift to reach the platform and second floor. In order to accomplish some of these upgrades, we carefully removed many existing finishes and replaced them with either new or restored finishes, which included a new roof, new exterior shingles, and a restored wood floor.

HIGHER EDUCATION

ANNA HEAD ALUMNAE HALL

INFO

PROJECT INFORMATION

CLIENT: University of California, Berkeley
LOCATION: Santa Clara, California

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

The Anna Head Complex is a nationally registered historic place. Originally the Anna Head School for Girls, the complex was sold to the University of California, Berkeley in the 1950’s and was converted in to various office and service functions, subdividing many of the original uses.

CAW completed a feasibility study for the entire complex and was later commissioned with the renovation of Building A, the original assembly hall for the Anna Head School. Subdivided and festooned with exposed conduits, garish fluorescent lights and poorly placed utilities, the building was in need of a lot of care. CAW carefully restored the building to it’s historic character along with significant seismic, egress and accessible upgrades. Upgrades included new steel frames for seismic safety, sprinkler and lighting upgrades, new multi-use bathrooms on the first floor, new accessible paths at the exterior, and a new special access lift to reach the platform and second floor. In order to accomplish some of these upgrades, we carefully removed many existing finishes and replaced them with either new or restored finishes, which included a new roof, new exterior shingles, and a restored wood floor.

HIGHER EDUCATION > ANNA HEAD ALUMNAE HALL



  • PROJECT INFORMATION

    CLIENT: University of California, Berkeley
    LOCATION: Santa Clara, California

    PROJECT DESCRIPTION

    The Anna Head Complex is a nationally registered historic place. Originally the Anna Head School for Girls, the complex was sold to the University of California, Berkeley in the 1950’s and was converted in to various office and service functions, subdividing many of the original uses.

    CAW completed a feasibility study for the entire complex and was later commissioned with the renovation of Building A, the original assembly hall for the Anna Head School. Subdivided and festooned with exposed conduits, garish fluorescent lights and poorly placed utilities, the building was in need of a lot of care. CAW carefully restored the building to it’s historic character along with significant seismic, egress and accessible upgrades. Upgrades included new steel frames for seismic safety, sprinkler and lighting upgrades, new multi-use bathrooms on the first floor, new accessible paths at the exterior, and a new special access lift to reach the platform and second floor. In order to accomplish some of these upgrades, we carefully removed many existing finishes and replaced them with either new or restored finishes, which included a new roof, new exterior shingles, and a restored wood floor.